Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Creating a Fiction Query Letter

Rome Wasn't Built in a Day - Your Fiction Query Letter Can Take Just as Long

I will go on record now and say I despise writing a query letter.


"Can you see my query? It's the little fish with the blue eye."
 I have spent countless hours of my life creating, writing and perfecting thousands of words. My novel has been read and revised a half a dozen times just to be sure it's everything I want it to be. Now I sit staring at a single page of text - a SINGLE page - and I am experiencing pure frustration. I understand how people can get book deals for books they haven't even written because the act of writing a good novel versus a compelling query requires different skills entirely.

Now, of course I understand that a writer needs to be able to concisely present their book but a query is not just you "telling" an agent or publisher what your novel is about. No - a query is the sales pitch and since it will be entering an agent or publisher's life with a school of hundreds to thousands of others that look, on the outside, all alike - it will need to be the sales pitch of the century to get noticed. I'm not kidding.

Do I sound stressed? hopeful?

Actually, I am both. Why? Because I really do believe in my manuscript and genuinely want a career as a full time writer. I'm among friends I know which is why I feel the need to spread what I have gathered from my hours of research and transpose it here in one location. I may despise the query letter but I finally think I understand the heart of the beast.

Become a Fan on Facebook

Is there a formula or layout for the perfect Query?
No, and this is probably a good thing. Agents and publishers would have more wrinkles and love their jobs less if they got 'cookie-cutter' queries day in and day out. You're query letter should and will be different in many ways but there are some do's and don'ts that I have unearthed on my journey to conquer submission woes.

The Do's - or more poetically...the things that will keep you from being tossed right away

Make sure the agent or publisher represents your genre of fiction - As logical as it sounds, it bears repeating. Besides, you don't want an agent who doesn't know how to sell your style of book do you?
Personalize every query letter - even if submitting to a generic agency email, tell them which agent you are interested in. Be formal - using Mr. or Ms. (not Mrs. or Miss).
Include the title of your novel, word count and genre
• Briefly answer "Why them?" - do some research and know how your manuscript will fit with this agent or publisher's current array of work. Do you fit? Why? Again, 1-2 sentences which could also include why you believe your novel will be successful in the marketplace.
One Sentence Hook (or pitch) - yes you have to be able to use one sentence to describe the character and plot of your novel. (Examples to come!)
• One paragraph that describes the main plot (4-5 sentences) - do this in a similar style of writing that you implement in your novel. If you use victorian language in your historical romance - keep it up here BUT still cover your setting, character, turning point, rising action, climax, falling action and resoltuion into this paragraph. I know what you're thinking - I hate it too!
1-2 Sentences about you - Do not spill your life story - just what we need to know like education or career and if/how they tie into your novel. (ie: I'm writing about the exciting romance of bee keepers and low an behold, I've been a bee keeper for 20 years.)
Say Thank You - it's called good manners.
Offer the option for them to contact you for your COMPLETED novel - Yes, they do like the word 'completed.'
Your Contact Info - whether at the bottom or the top of the page, make sure there are multiple ways to contact you (ie: phone, email, address)
KEEP IT SHORT - after sifting through dozens of articles that talk about query letters, this is one of the plaguing issues that should be forefront in your mind. Everyone says, one page but I will take it a step further and say 250 to 350 words. That is much shorter than one page but almost every agent interview I read mentions that they want an author who understands 'brevity' - get to the point with precision and quickness.

Follow on Twitter

The Don'ts - which covers other tidbits to avoid.
Overly kiss up - stay professional in how you present yourself. Even if this is the agent you would love to have, don't gush on why you think you guys are a match made in heaven. It might get you noticed but for all the wrong reasons.
Use weak language - Using statements like "I think you might like..." or "I know I'm a first time writer but I wish..." will not help you. Be confident in your presentation. Remember this is a sales pitch. Believe in your product. If you don't - go back and revise again until you do.
Hide the story - you might think that by keeping the story a mystery that you will intrigue the agent or publisher to want to know more -  but this will backfire on you. An agent or a publisher wants to know the premise of the ENTIRE  book so they can judge whether you are worth their time. Again be confident that your plot is interesting and lay it out there.
Step outside the box when it comes to format - if an agent wants you to send an email query, don't physically mail one in. Follow their guidelines (found on their company website) as well as keep the font and formatting of the letter professional and clean. Again, you don't want to stand out for the wrong reasons. 

Conclusion
Writing a query can be painful but by the end you will have a greater understanding of how to approach your novel from a sales perspective. Keep at it. This isn't something set in stone so if something doesn't appear to be working, try a new tactic. It's possible that someone could ignore everything I've said and still get published. That's the nature of the publishing world and the more you understand the business of it - the better equipped you are as a writer. Good Luck!

Learn more about Ashlei Ryan Jackson

No comments:

Post a Comment